Saturday, June 20, 2009

A day off...

Hey,
Today is the Moab market, Mitzy and Josh take the truck every Saturday to that market. There is not much to do here at the farm, just the morning CSA from 10-12pm. We helped with that and have been taking it easy the rest of the day. We are having a farm crew potluck tonight at Manuel's house. Manuel is the caretaker of the orchard, he lives here year round. I'm excited to hang out with everyone for dinner. I guess I thought there would be more community dinners here, but everyone is so tired at the end of the day they eat simply and go to bed.
Yesterday, I had to transplant some royal oak leaf lettuce heads that we had planted too close. Then we taped the tomato plants. They sucker (cutting branches off of the plant that could essentially become another plant) and then tape the plants to a bamboo stick to train it to go up instead of bushing out. This makes harvesting one 500 foot row of tomatoes a lot easier. There are 5 or 6 of these rows here, can you imagine how many tomatoes that is! I'm going to try to find out. Mitzy was telling me that they sun dried some of the surplus last year on giant screens on the barn roof. What a yummy idea. Well, I need to get cooking. Until later.
Karna and Jola

1 comment:

  1. Karna,

    I miss you!!!!! Come back soon!
    Nice blog posts.

    -Christina

    ReplyDelete