Monday, June 15, 2009

Cameron Place Farm

Hey,
Jola and I arrived at the Cameron Place Farm and Rancho Durazno Orchards on Friday afternoon. It is beautiful country here, what I imagine being in the Grand Canyon to be like but with orchards and houses. We are surrounded by giant canyon walls and mesas and the Colorado River is a short walk from the farm. The crew here is made up of mostly interns and some migrant workers and they have all been very welcoming to Jola and I. We are only expected to work 5 hours a day or a total of 25 hours a week, but I suspect we will work more. So far we have helped with a CSA pick-up, Palisade farmer's market and planting rows of lettuce. Today, after Jola's nap, we will pick weeds! Jola has discovered dirt and mud, pictures to come. He ate his first mouthful on Sunday night, yeah for minerals. Last night he submerged his hands and arms into the freshly watered hills where we were planting. He was covered in mud. I imagine all the new sensations he was exploring and what was going through his mind and I think it must be amazing to experience those things for the first time. I want to try to see the world a little through his eyes and see what he can teach me. I want to move slowly through this experience and really, truly connect with Jola, the earth and our food. Jola is awake now, off to the field.
Talk to you soon,
Karna

3 comments:

  1. Great description of your first wonderful experience on the farm. May you have many many more. Thank you for sharing Jola's story of eating mud and plunging his arms into the wet soil. I could almost taste it. May this journey open your eyes and heart. Love you! Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, I really like the name of this farm!! Hopefully it will remind you of us! We are so happy for you and we miss you and look forward to your journal. You know I love a blog!! I have no idea how you do it all with Jola in tow. Amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a unique and rich experience. Enjoy! Thank you for sharing it with us, your CSA friends.
    ~Rachell Skerlec and family

    ReplyDelete